I have tried my hand a few times at selling on Craigslist. Usually I would be bombarded by phone calls and texts the first week with people wanting more information on the item I was selling. I’d have to answer a ton of questions and if I was posting something for someone else (like a motorcycle for my dad) I wouldn’t even know the answers!
Recently my brother had a handful of higher dollar items that we wanted to sell and asked me if I’d help him out. Since I knew he had paid much less for these items than what he was asking I told him I would do it for a 15% commission. Instead of heading to Craigslist I decided to go to the local Facebook Groups – “the county yard sale” and “buy,sell,trade, guns.”
Within moments of posting the items I had two hits. As the day progressed several people had commented on the post or private messaged me. I sold the items the same day. I ended up selling a gun on one of the pages for triple what my brother had paid for it. (He got a good deal.) The other items he sold also went at retail prices. I was amazed at how quick and easy it was to make those sales.
Why Facebook Yard Sales are Better than Craigslist
I don’t plan on heading back to Craigslist any time soon. I see so many more benefits of Facebook Groups, such as yard sales when it comes to selling. Here’s why:
- People get obsessive with Facebook, checking these groups multiple times a day. So it is great exposure.
- When an item is commented on it gets sent back up to the top of the feed.
- You can communicate with people via Private Message rather than getting a ton of phone calls
- There are thousands of people in these groups.
- When you post something all of your friends in the group are notified.
- If something isn’t selling quickly you can “bump” back up to the top of the feed by commenting on it.
- People often “tag” friends that they think might be interested in the item in the comments section.
- You can scan through all the postings and immediately see what type of items are selling the fastest and for the most. (Easy research)
If you are new to Facebook Yard Sales, they are extremely easy to use.
- •Go to yard sale or other group page that you want to sell on. Upload a photo of the item you want to sell, along with price, description, and pick up terms.
- •Other members in the group can comment on your post or private message you with their offer.
- •Make an agreement and sell it!
After having such a smooth experience selling on the Facebook Yard Sale, I don’t think I will ever use Craigslist again. Millions of people log onto Facebook every day, I don’t think that you can get better exposure than that!
Have you ever sold anything in a Facebook Yard Sale? Good Experiences? Bad Experiences? Let me know what you think.