Hey there! Nice of you to stop by. Time is precious these days and I certainly appreciate yours.
I’m Alexa and I started this blog in 2012 as a way of chronicling my journey as a single mother trying to beat the vicious cycle of dead end jobs and paycheck to paycheck living. I’ve accomplished a lot in the few short years I’ve had this blog and my life has changed dramatically.
From Humble Beginnings…
In 2012 after getting divorced I took out a $10,000 loan against my car and bought a trailer that I moved onto a spare lot beside my Dad’s house. I worked two jobs – one as a bookkeeper and another as an insurance agent – to make ends meet. In the meantime I did the best I could to be a good mother to my two daughters while I spent every extra free minute I had building an online business.
Looking back I’m not quite sure how I did it. All I can tell you is that there were lots of sleepless nights, high caffeine consumption and a few tears shed.
Through Trial and Error I Finally Grew My Income……
I tried so many different ways to earn money online and failed at most. I recorded all of my extra income on the blog from the very beginning. (You can view those income reports here.)
Through trial and error I finally landed upon freelance blogging as a legitimate and lucrative side business. I grew my writing income big enough to replace my day job (which was less than $2,000/month at the time!) and then I quit my full time job and began working for myself.
Since then I’ve added virtual assistant work and have managed to earn a little from this blog, bringing my income closer to $5,000+ per month.
It was a ton of work at first but let me tell ya, it has been worth it!
Here are some posts I’ve written on how I was able to do all of this:
- How to Become a Freelance Blogger if You’re Starting From Scratch
- How to Find a High Paying Virtual Assistant Jobs
If you’re feeling like you’re stuck in a dead end job, think you can never make more than $10/hr. because you don’t have a college degree, or think you can’t save money or beat the paycheck to paycheck cycle, I want to encourage you that you can. Don’t lose hope!
Here’s What I Believe Now
Through the rollercoaster of a journey I’ve been on over the past few years I’ve solidified many of my views on money.
Here’s what I believe:
- Most people spend too much money on things they don’t need and that don’t really make them happy.
- If you have the right mindset it is completely possible to substantially increase your income – even without a college degree. (I don’t have one.)
- Without strong financial goals your money will slip through the cracks.
- Money in and of itself will not make you happy but the lack of money can make you downright miserable.
- Financial stability is far more important and comforting than any material items ever will be.
With all that said it’s also important to note it takes some serious hustle, determination, and a willingness to get outside of your comfort zone to reach your goals.
You can expect to find practical ways to save money and earn more money on this blog with a little of my daily life thrown into the mix. I hope you stick around!