Then when she brought it up again last week I decided to check into the price.
I knew they were expensive but O.M.G. I had no idea that the dolls STARTED at $115. And outfits? The cheapest I saw was $30.
So to get Kailyn an American Girl doll with an outfit and earnings I’d be spending $160 plus shipping and tax.
After discovering the price I told her that if she did get an American Girl Doll for her birthday that would be the only thing she was getting.
She’s got her heart set on this doll but I’m a bit torn.
Here are the pros and cons:
- Kailyn takes very good care of her stuff. If she got this doll I’m sure she’d take care of it and potentially play with it for years to come.
- I’d rather buy one good quality gift than spend money on a bunch of junk that would just get thrown away.
- The doll plus outfit would cost $160.
- I usually get both girls something for each birthday. (For instance on Ava’s birthday both girls got a new bike. But the bikes were only $40) If Kailyn got an American Girl doll Ava would also expect something. But Ava doesn’t take care of anything and spending $160 on a doll for her is flat out not going to happen. (On the other hand Ava isn’t too picky and would probably be happy with a $15 Walmart doll or something secondhand.)
- The doll plus outfit would cost $160!!!!!!
Possible Ideas for Buying the Doll
- Go in halves with someone else. (Like her Dad or Grandma)
- Make her pay for the part of the doll. She’s been saving money for quite awhile to go to Build a Bear (another place I refuse to pay for) I think she’d be more than willing to put her money toward this instead.
- Find one secondhand…..but where?
What do you think? Bad idea or no big deal to buy a six year old an expensive gift?
Also does anyone have any experience with American Girl Dolls? Are they worth the money?! Is there anyway to get one of these for less?