As a single mother you have your plate full and without proper organization your life will become a mess. Organization affects every part of your life – the quality of time spent with family, finances, and how efficiently and effectively you can complete work. Not to mention being disorganized is a huge stress factor.
“Organization is the key to success.”
The problem most women have with keeping things organized is that they feel that if they can’t make things perfect, then why bother. Organization should not be this way. You don’t need a fancy, overthought, complicated system -the simpler the system the better.
Start a Filing System
Filing your bills is an easy thing to stay on top of as long as you are using a simple system. If you just let paid bills pile up you will never be able to find what you need. I want to show you my super easy system that makes filing bills and de-cluttering mail a cinch.
- Using manila file folders label one folder for each month of the year.
- Label one folder specifically for bank statements, one for insurance policies, and one for 401k statements, brokerage statements etc.
- Label one folder “bills to pay”
- As mail comes in immediately throw away all junk. Put all bills coming due in your “bills to pay” folder
- As you pay your bills put them in the folder labeled for the month that you paid them in. (You paid a bill in November put it in the November folder)
- Put all important non bill documents in their corresponding folder. (Bank statements, brokerage accounts, insurance etc.)
- After 12 months you will be back at the folder you started in. Shred all of the unimportant documents (utility bills etc.) and start over again.
Simple, right? The simpler you keep your organization the more likely you will be able to stay on top of it. It will take you less than thirty minutes a week to pay all of you bills and organize them following this easy system.